Nestled at an altitude of 1,479 meters above sea level, Nandi Hills, or Nandidurga, is one of the most popular weekend destinations for residents and visitors of Bangalore, India. Offering panoramic views, ancient temples, and a slice of history, it’s a perfect escape from the city’s hustle and bustle.
Nandi Hills is generally open to visitors from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM. However, the timings can vary based on season, special occasions, or administrative decisions. It’s always a good idea to check the latest timings before planning your visit.
Tip: Arrive early to catch the mesmerizing sunrise view from the hills.
Attractions at Nandi Hills:
- Tipu’s Drop: A 600-meter high cliff face, historically known as the execution point during Tipu Sultan’s reign.
- Nandi Temple: Situated at the foothills, this ancient temple is dedicated to the bull Nandi, which gives the hills their name.
- Nehru Nilaya: Where Jawaharlal Nehru used to reside during his visits. Now it’s converted into a guesthouse.
- Tipu’s Summer Residence: An architectural marvel which was the summer retreat of the ruler Tipu Sultan.
- Horticulture Farm: A paradise for nature lovers, offering a variety of flora.
Tips for Visitors:
- Weather: Being at a higher altitude, Nandi Hills tends to be cooler than Bangalore. Carrying a light jacket is advisable.
- Food and Drink: There are limited eateries atop the hill. Carrying snacks and water can be beneficial.
- Safety: The roads leading to Nandi Hills are winding and can be foggy in the mornings. Drive cautiously.
- Footwear: Wear comfortable shoes if you plan on exploring on foot.
- Photography: The viewpoint at Nandi Hills offers breathtaking panoramas, especially during sunrise. Don’t forget your camera!
By Road: Located just 60 km from Bangalore, the best way to reach Nandi Hills is by road. You can hire a taxi, rent a car, or even ride a bike.
Public Transport: Though direct buses are infrequent, one can take a bus to Chikkaballapur and then hire a local auto-rickshaw or cab to the hills.
Whether you’re a photographer, nature lover, history buff, or just someone looking to unwind, Nandi Hills has something to offer. Its proximity to Bangalore makes it an ideal spot for quick getaways, ensuring you return refreshed and rejuvenated. Remember to check the latest opening timings and any travel advisories before heading out.