Kayaking in Coorg: Paddle Through the Scotland of India
Coorg, officially known as Kodagu, is often referred to as the “Scotland of India” due to its lush green landscapes and mist-covered rolling hills. Located in the Western Ghats of Karnataka, India, this verdant paradise offers more than just its famous coffee plantations and picturesque views. Among the myriad of outdoor activities, kayaking is rapidly emerging as a favorite among travelers and adventure seekers visiting Coorg.
Why Kayak in Coorg?
Coorg boasts a network of shimmering rivers and streams, most notably the Cauvery River. The gentle flow of these waters set against the backdrop of dense forests and coffee plantations makes kayaking a serene yet exhilarating experience. The tranquility of the water combined with the symphony of chirping birds and the aroma of fresh coffee in the air makes for a sensory treat.
Best Time to Kayak
The ideal time for kayaking in Coorg is during the months of October to May. These months offer clear skies and pleasant weather, ensuring a smooth kayaking experience. The monsoon months, from June to September, see the rivers swell and can pose challenges for inexperienced kayakers.
Where to Kayak
- Barapole River: One of the most popular spots for kayaking, the Barapole River offers varying levels of challenges, catering to both novices and experienced paddlers.
- Upper Barapole: This is the calmer section of the river, suitable for beginners and those looking for a peaceful paddle through nature.
- Dubare Elephant Camp: Apart from getting up close with elephants, Dubare is also a spot for kayaking, especially for families and beginners.
- Always wear a life jacket.
- Opt for guided tours if you’re a beginner.
- Avoid kayaking during heavy rainfall or when the river flow is too strong.
- Stay hydrated and be aware of your surroundings.
Coorg offers a unique blend of tranquility and adventure, and kayaking in Coorg is a testament to that. Whether you’re a seasoned paddler looking for some thrill or a newbie wanting to experience the joy of kayaking amidst nature, Coorg awaits with open arms and flowing rivers.