Nestled amid the lush green landscapes of the Western Ghats, Coorg, also known as Kodagu, is a beautiful hill station renowned for its scenic beauty, coffee estates, and vibrant culture. An easy getaway from the bustling city life of Bangalore, a trip to Coorg is a delightful sojourn into nature’s lap.
Distance and How to Reach
Coorg is about 260 kilometers from Bangalore. You can travel by road or rail.
1. By Road:
Travelling by road is the most preferred and convenient way to reach Coorg. The journey takes approximately 5-6 hours depending on the traffic and the route you choose. There are two main routes:
- Via Mysore: Bangalore -> Mysore -> Kushalnagar -> Madikeri (Coorg)
- Via Srirangapatna: Bangalore -> Srirangapatna -> Hunsur -> Kushalnagar -> Madikeri (Coorg)
Both routes are well-maintained and offer beautiful scenic views.
2. By Rail:
The nearest railway stations to Coorg are Mysore, Mangalore, and Hassan. From the station, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Coorg.
Things to Do in Coorg
Coorg offers a plethora of activities for every kind of traveler.
1. Visit Abbey Falls: This magnificent waterfall is a fantastic sight, especially during the monsoons when the water volume is at its peak.
2. Explore Raja’s Seat: Known for its breathtaking view of the sunset, Raja’s Seat is a beautiful garden adorned with colorful flowers and fountains.
3. Tour a Coffee Plantation: When in Coorg, a visit to a coffee plantation is a must. Many estates offer guided tours where you can learn about coffee cultivation and even taste the fresh brew.
4. Visit the Namdroling Monastery: The largest teaching center of the Nyingma lineage of Tibetan Buddhism in the world, this monastery is a beautiful and peaceful place to visit.
5. Trek to Tadiandamol: If you are an adventure enthusiast, trek to Tadiandamol, the highest peak in Coorg, for a thrilling experience.
Best Time to Visit
Coorg can be visited all year round. However, the most suitable time to visit is from October to May when the weather is pleasant and ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities.
A trip from Bangalore to Coorg is not just about reaching the destination; it is an immersive experience into the beauty of the Western Ghats. Whether you are an adventure junkie, a peace-seeker, a nature lover, or a history enthusiast, Coorg has something for everyone.