Hampi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Karnataka, India, is a treasure trove of historical and architectural wonders. This 3-day itinerary allows you to immerse yourself in the rich heritage of this ancient city at a leisurely pace:
Day 1: Arrival in Hampi
- Arrival in Hampi: Begin your journey with an arrival in Hampi in the morning. Check into your chosen accommodation.
- Hampi Bazaar and Virupaksha Temple: Explore the vibrant Hampi Bazaar and visit the awe-inspiring Virupaksha Temple, a testament to the city’s rich history and artistry.
Lunch: 3. Local Cuisine: Relish a delicious local meal at one of Hampi’s eateries.
Afternoon: 4. Hemakuta Hill: Hike up Hemakuta Hill for panoramic views of the city’s ancient ruins, including the Virupaksha Temple and the bustling Hampi Bazaar.
- Krishna Temple Complex: Discover the intricacies of the Krishna Temple Complex, which includes the Krishna Temple itself, Krishna Bazaar, and the Krishna Pushkarini.
Evening: 6. Sunset at Matanga Hill: Climb Matanga Hill to witness an awe-inspiring sunset over the Hampi ruins.
Dinner: 7. Hampi’s Culinary Delights: Savor a delightful dinner at one of Hampi’s restaurants.
Day 2: Hampi Exploration
- Vittala Temple: Commence your day with a visit to the renowned Vittala Temple, where you’ll marvel at the famous stone chariot, musical pillars, and exquisite sculptures.
Lunch: 2. Lunch Break: Enjoy a leisurely lunch at a local eatery or return to your accommodation for a relaxing meal.
Afternoon: 3. Royal Enclosure: Delve into the historical wonders of the Royal Enclosure, including the elegant Lotus Mahal, Elephant Stables, and the opulent Queen’s Bath.
- Hazara Rama Temple: Explore the Hazara Rama Temple, known for its intricate bas-reliefs narrating episodes from the Ramayana.
Evening: 5. Tungabhadra River Sunset: Spend a serene evening by the Tungabhadra River. Consider taking a coracle ride or simply savoring the peaceful atmosphere.
Dinner: 6. Culinary Adventure: Enjoy dinner at one of Hampi’s local restaurants.
Day 3: Further Exploration and Departure
- Achyutaraya Temple: Begin your day with a visit to the Achyutaraya Temple and explore the adjacent Courtesan’s Street, a window into the city’s vibrant past.
- Underground Shiva Temple: Discover the enigmatic Underground Shiva Temple, also known as the Badavilinga Temple, and the nearby Pushkarini (stepped tank).
Lunch: 3. Midday Break: Relish a local lunch at a Hampi eatery.
Afternoon: 4. Hemakuta Hill Trek: If you have the time and energy, consider revisiting Hemakuta Hill for fresh perspectives or exploring any missed ruins.
- Shopping: Dedicate some time to shopping for souvenirs and handicrafts in Hampi Bazaar.
Evening: 6. Departure: Head back to your accommodation for a quick refresh before checking out and departing.
Optional: If your departure is scheduled for the evening or the following day, you may choose to extend your exploration to include additional sites like the Elephant Stables, Zenana Enclosure, or a visit to Anegundi Village.
This 3-day itinerary not only guides you through the iconic landmarks of Hampi but also encourages you to soak in the city’s tranquil beauty. Adjust it to suit your interests and pace, but be sure to immerse yourself in the historical and architectural wonders that Hampi has to offer.