Beyond the Summit: Mesmerizing Places Near Nandi Hills
Often when one thinks of a day trip near Bangalore, Nandi Hills tops the list with its cloud-kissed peaks and historical allure. But the region surrounding this popular hill offers a myriad of other treasures, waiting to be discovered by the discerning traveler. Let’s journey beyond the well-trodden paths of Nandi Hills to explore the hidden gems nearby.
1. Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple:
- Architectural Splendor: Situated at the base of Nandi Hills, this temple is one of the oldest temples of Karnataka, with a history spanning over 1000 years. The intricate carvings and the sprawling complex stand testament to the Dravidian architectural prowess.
2. Tipu’s Drop:
- Historical Significance: A cliff face that offers panoramic views of the valley below, Tipu’s Drop is said to be the place where prisoners were thrown to their death during Tipu Sultan’s reign. Today, it’s a viewpoint that offers tranquility and reflection.
3. Amrita Sarovar:
- Lake of Ambrosia: This shimmering lake, also known as the Lake of Nectar, is a source of the region’s drinking water. The lake’s serene ambience is heightened during the night when the waters seem to glow, thanks to the moonlight.
4. Grover Zampa Vineyards:
- Wine and Dine: Located a short drive from Nandi Hills, this vineyard is perfect for those who appreciate a good wine. Tour the vineyards, understand the wine-making process, and round off the visit with some wine tasting.
- Birthplace of a Visionary: Just a few kilometers from Nandi Hills, Muddenahalli is the birthplace of Sir M. Visvesvaraya, an eminent engineer and statesman. The museum here showcases his contributions and is an inspiring visit for many.
6. Skandagiri Hills:
- Trekker’s Delight: Adjacent to Nandi Hills, Skandagiri, also known as Kalavara Durga, is a mountain fortress ideal for trekking. The sunrise trek is particularly popular, offering breathtaking views atop the peak.
- Best Time to Visit: The post-monsoon months from September to February are ideal as the landscapes are lush green and the weather is pleasant.
- Stay Options: While many visit these spots on a day trip from Bangalore, there are numerous homestays and resorts nearby for those wanting to extend their stay.
- Local Cuisine: Don’t forget to try the local delicacies available at eateries near Nandi Hills. The flavors are sure to tantalize your taste buds.
In conclusion, while Nandi Hills itself is a wondrous destination, the surrounding locales only enhance the region’s charm. From historical sites and natural beauty to gastronomical delights, there’s something for every traveler in the vicinity of Nandi Hills. So, the next time you plan a trip to this popular hill, make sure to explore its equally enchanting neighbors.